Flexible Housing Pool
In San Diego County, one of the primary challenges to addressing homelessness is the lack of available rental units in the community for people to access. Because of this, the Regional Task Force on the Homeless along with partners including the County of San Diego, and Funders Together to End Homelessness San Diego (FTEHSD), created the regional Flexible Housing Pool (FHP) to use flexible funds to help provide streamlined access to rental units and ensure ongoing housing stability.
FHP’s are an innovative model that have successfully been implemented in other communities across the country including Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Chicago, IL. Key components of the San Diego FHP include:
- Centralized landlord engagement efforts under a single entity
- Dedicated staff members focused on partnering with community-based landlords and securing available units in the private rental market
- Flexible funds to create a pool of real-time available units in the community for homeless households to access
- Funds to pay for needed housing expenses including application fees, deposits, utility arrears, and furniture and other household goods.
- Collaboration with existing programs that offer both rental assistance and housing-based case management and supportive services
- Dedicated staff members to provide housing tenancy services and coordinate with the landlord, the supportive services program, and the participant to ensure ongoing housing stability
San Diego FHP partners selected Brilliant Corners, a nationally recognized non-profit known for their administration of the LA County Flexible Housing Subsidy Pool, to operate the FHP in San Diego. In the first year the FHP is focused on acquiring at least 140 private market units for homeless Veterans, youth, and families with the hope of scaling the FHP in year two and expanding to more populations in need. In addition to the RTFH, County of San Diego, and FTEHSD, the City of Carlsbad is also a new funder and partner in the FHP.
To learn more about the FHP please email email@example.com.